Lasagne is one of those things that takes a while to cook with a few different steps, but freezes extremely well and make great packed lunches for work. Come to think of it, it’s not actually that hard to make either – just that you need to make two different sauces – a meat and a cheesy white sauce.
Here’s what you’ll need.
Cast of Characters:
- Minced beef (or chicken)
- Garlic, Onion, a Carrot and Celery – all chopped/ grated
- Tabasco sauce and worcestershire sauce
- A can of chopped tomatoes
- Ketchup, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and dried herbs
- Olive oil
- Plain flour
- Fresh milk
- Grated cheese
- Salt and pepper
- About 6-8 sheets of Lasagne
- Salt and a pot of boiling water
- Marinate the minced beef with salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, tabasco and red chilli flakes.
- Heat up olive oil in a skillet and sauté the garlic and the celery and add in the marinated beef and cook till it brown.
- Then add in the grated carrots (It’s a good way to include some vege into your diet – specially if you have kids who are not big fans of all things vegetable)
- Now add in the can of chopped tomatoes along with a squirt of ketchup and about a half a cup of water and cook under a low flame. You could also check for seasoning at this point and add in the dried herbs too.
- While the meat sauce is bubbling away under a low heat, you could get to making the white sauce. Sorry I was multi tasking a bit too much and forgot to snap and pics.
- But anyway, all you need to do is, heat up about 2 spoons of butter under a very low heat and add in the plain flour and stir till it forms a sticky paste.
- After about 3 mins, add in a cup full of fresh milk and whisk away. Then add in the cheese and continue to whisk and stir till it reaches a saucy consistency.
- Do a taste test and add in salt and pepper. Don’t add salt any earlier as the cheese would be adding a saltiness to the sauce and so you might run in to the risk of over salting the sauce.
- Lastly cook the lasagne sheets in salted boiling water for about 4 mins. Don’t cook them fully as they will continue to cook in the oven as well.
- Finally assemble the meat sauce, the noodles and the cheese (white) sauce, starting from the meat sauce and finishing with the cheese sauce with any amount of layers in between.
- Lastly sprinkle some grated cheese over and I airfried (baked) in the airfryer for 20 mins at 180°C. If you are airfrying like I did, I would advice to cover the whole thing with tin foil in the first 12 mins or so, else the top might burn off a bit like mine did as it’ll be located closer to the coil of the fryer.